Grandma Ada's Gingerbread
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup hot water
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper, or lightly butter all sides.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and molasses, mixing well.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to butter mixture; add hot water and stir until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan before turning out.
Imperial Sugar Insight
This recipe was originally published in Imperial Sugar’s 150th Anniversary Cookbook.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments