- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix almond paste and sugar, at this stage it will not combine well and remain lumpy.
- Add salt and one tablespoon egg white. Mix until all lumps are gone and mixture is smooth.
- Add another tablespoon egg white and mix until completely smooth. Add remaining egg white.
- Fill a pastry bag with mixture and use a large, plain piping tip.
- On parchment lined cookie sheets, pipe quarter size domes spaced about 1/2 inch apart.
- Using a sharp knife, cut almond slivers in small pieces.
- Sprinkle almonds on surface of cookies ensuring few fall between cookies.
- Sprinkle with a little additional sugar if desired. Place in oven and bake about 18-22 minutes.
- Cookies will last several days and freeze very well.