Green Tea Coconut Pound Cake
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, no white bitter pith
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons Matcha (Japanese green tea powder)
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes, sweetened
- Optional: Green food color
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 370°F.
- Butter and flour an 8x4 or 9x5-inch loaf pan (or a bundt pan). Set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix further. Add eggs 1 at a time waiting for previous added egg to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often. Whip until the mixture is very light and fluffy. Add orange zest, salt and Matcha.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda together. On low speed add 1/3 of flour mixture. Once combined add 1/2 of orange juice, when smooth add another 1/3 of flour. Repeat with orange juice and flour last. Mix in coconut.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Place in oven and lower heat to 350°F. After being in oven for 45 minutes drape a sheet of buttered aluminum foil gently on surface of pound cake. (Keeps cake from browning too much.)
- Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean - about 60 minutes for larger loaf pan size and 75-80 minutes for smaller loaf pan. Let sit in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve.
Matcha green tea powder can be found in Asian and health food stores or online.