Green Tea Shortbreads
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup white chocolate for drizzle, optional
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine butter and powdered sugar, mixing on medium speed for 1 minute, until smooth. Add in matcha powder and mix for an additional minute, scraping sides as necessary, being careful to incorporate all matcha powder.
- Turn mixer to low speed and add flour, mixing until just combined.
- Transfer dough to a clean surface, and form dough into a log 2- inches in diameter. Wrap log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and cut into 1/4- inch slices with a knife.
- Place sliced dough onto prepared baking sheet 2- inches apart and bake for 13 - 15 minutes, or until edges begin to turn golden.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Optional - Melt white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in 15 second increments until melted and smooth. Drizzle on top of cookies and allow chocolate to set before storing.
- Store airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days.
After testing this recipe with multiple brands of matcha, the baked cookie color may vary based on type of tea used. The color of the cookies may oxidize the longer they are stored, so best consumed within 5 days.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.