Green Velvet Layer Cake
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons gel green food color
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Few drops green gel food color(do not use liquid food color!)
- Optional Rolled Fondant
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour three 8-inch cake pans and set aside. For foolproof results line bottoms of pan with a round piece of parchment paper.
- Mix oil and sugar for 5 minutes on medium speed. Add one egg at a time, waiting for previous added egg to be fully incorporated.
- Add food color followed by cocoa powder, salt and vanilla.
- Sift together flour and baking soda and add 1/3 to the above mixture, mix until just combined.
- Combine buttermilk with vinegar and to the above, mix until just combined. Add another 1/3 of flour and mix until combined. Repeat with remaining buttermilk and remaining flour.
- Divide cake batter evenly into 3 cake pans and place in preheated oven. Bake for approximately 32-37 minutes or when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before turning over onto a plastic food film lined surface. Let cool before frosting.
- Set aside about 1/6th of frosting for decoration. Place a cake layer on a serving tray and coat with frosting. Add another layer and cover with frosting, frost sides and top of cake. Pipe rosettes on cake surface Place in refrigerator.
- Fill a medium saucepan with 1-inch of water and bring to a boil. Place white chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons oil in a small saucepan. Place chocolate bowl over boiling water and turn to a very low simmer. Stir until melted; the consistency should be like heavy cream. If needed add a touch more oil. Add green gel food color to your desired hue.
- Pour melted green chocolate over edge of cake and allow to drip down on sides.
- If desired tint some rolled fondant green and make shamrocks for the top of the cake.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments