Halloween Broken Glass Candy
- Few drops of vegetable oil
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons mint, lemon, orange or another flavor extract (optional)
- 6-8 drops yellow food color gel
- 6-8 drops red food color gel
- Granulated or colored sugar sprinkles (optional)
- On the backside of the largest cookie sheet you have, place a sheet of aluminum foil. Spread a super thin coat of vegetable oil on it. Set aside.
- This syrup is cooked to extremely high temperatures which can cause severe burns. Make certain that children or pets do not distract you or are close by.
- In a saucepan combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover pan with a lid. Trap steam for a good solid minute and then remove lid. This procedure ensures that no sugar crystals are sticking to sides of pan.
- Without stirring, add corn syrup and continue boiling. Do not stir syrup at any time during heating process. Stirring will cause syrup to turn back into crystals. If working on induction or electric boil sugar on high heat. If working on gas, ensure that heat is on high, but gas flames are not flaring up on sides of pan.
- Cook until mixture reaches 305°F. Remove from heat and add in flavor.
- Drop yellow and red food color all over surface of syrup without stirring it in.
- Pour onto prepared foil. Sprinkle immediately with sugar if desired.
- After about 30 minutes break into pieces. Be careful as candy can have sharp edges.