Halloween Chocolate Cookie Pops
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- Lollipop sticks
- Basic Buttercream Frosting
- Food color of choice, liquid or gel, orange, green, purple etc. as needed
- 1 black icing writer tube or black food color, gel type
- Candy eyes
- Sprinkles, optional
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Mix butter until creamy, but not until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar, mix until combined. Add salt, vanilla, and cocoa powder.
- Sift flour and add in one step to butter mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Press dough to a 1/2-inch thickness on a plastic food film lined cookie sheet. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Remove half of dough from the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar on a kitchen towel or parchment paper and roll dough 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut using a 1 1/2-inch diameter cutter and place on parchment or lightly buttered cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- In each cookie, horizontally press a lollipop stick well towards the middle.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 12 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool completely before decorating or the frosting will melt off the cookies.
- Color part of frosting to desired shade. If the frosting is a little too stiff, make it softer by siting the bowl in some medium hot water while stirring with a spatula.
- Spoon or pipe a small amount of frosting on surface of cookie and spread smoothly using a small offset spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Using black frosting or a black icing writer decorate cookies as desired.
- Decorate with candy eyes and sprinkles.