Harry Potter's Treacle Tart
- 6-8 slices fresh white bread
- 1 1/4 cup golden syrup, such as Steen’s Pure Cane Syrup
- 1 egg
- Zest of two lemons
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Start by making crust. Lightly grease a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Place flour, butter, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Pulse until it resembles bread crumbs. Whisk egg and water with a fork. With food processor on low, slowly pour in egg mixture. Process on low until it forms a dough.
- Form dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll dough on a floured surface larger than tart pan to go up the sides. Transfer to pan, trimming sides. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Heat oven to 350°F.
- Line prepared crust lightly with foil. Fill foil with granulated sugar, making sure to spread sugar to edges. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil with sugar. Cool tart crust in pan on wire rack. (Cool sugar before storing for re-use.)
- For filling, cut crusts off bread slices and pulse in food processor until crumbs. Measure out 1 cup.
- Whisk syrup, egg, zest, and juice in a bowl. Stir in 1 cup bread crumbs. Pour into prepared tart shell, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the filling is set (it may still be bubbling). Immediately after removing from oven, pop bottom of tart pan out, removing sides. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Before serving, dust with powdered sugar. Top with crème chantilly, if desired.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.