Heart Shaped Butter Cookies with Jam
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon and sweep method*)
- 1 jar red fruit jam of choice
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Place coconut in a food processor or blender and grind until very fine. (Alternatively finely grated coconut can be found in health food stores.)
- Mix butter until smooth and creamy. Add confectioner’s sugar and mix until well blended and no butter lumps remain.
- Add salt, vanilla extract, and egg yolk and mix until combined.
- Add flour in one step and mix just until blended.
- Line a cookie sheet with plastic food wrap and press dough flat on sheet. Place in freezer or refrigerator until cold and firm, about 30 minutes or overnight.
- The dough can be a challenge to roll since it easily sticks; however rolling dough on a lightly floured kitchen towel is helpful. Dough can also be rolled between 2 sheets of thick plastic (use food storage bags).
- Roll chilled dough 1/8 inch thick. If it gets too soft, refrigerate it more. Cut into hearts. Cut half of cutouts with a second cutter to obtain a heart shape within the heart.
- Place on parchment-lined cookie sheets and place in oven and bake until very pale in color, about 13-15 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Place a few tablespoons of jam in microwave oven and warm until lukewarm.
- Spoon a small amount of jam on a solid heart-shaped cookie and spread the jam close to edge. Top with a heart-shaped cookie with its center cutout.