Heart Shaped Meringue Cookies
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- Line a light colored baking sheet with a silicone mat, or parchment paper sprayed lightly with nonstick spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites on medium-high speed for 1 minute until frothy.
- With mixer still going, add in sugar very slowly, followed by the cream of tartar and vanilla until combined. Turn mixer off and scrape sides of the bowl to combine. Continue beating for 2-3 minutes on high speed until meringue is glossy, stiff peaks form, and mixture is smooth and not grainy. If sugar isn’t completely dissolved continue mixing in 30 second increments until it’s smooth between your fingers.
- Add in food coloring and mix until combined and not streaky.
- Fit a piping bag with a large round tip. Fill piping bag with meringue. Pipe meringue in the shape of a “question mark” on the prepared sheet. Then pipe a “backwards question mark” forming a heart.
- Bake the piped meringues for 45 minutes. Turn the oven off, without opening the door. Allow the meringues to sit in the warm oven for 1 hour.
- Remove meringues from oven. Carefully remove meringues from baking sheet and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.