Heart Shortbread Cookies
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter until smooth, add powdered sugar and cream further. Add egg yolk, vanilla, zest of lime and salt, mix until well combined but not light and fluffy.
- Combine flour and coconut in a food processor and mix until coconut is chopped finely. (Without a food processor chop the coconut fine using a knife).
- Add coconut - flour mixture in one step to the creamed mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Press dough flat on a plastic food film lined cookie sheet and chill in the refrigerator until firm enough to roll. About 1 hour or better yet leave overnight.
- This dough tends to become soft very quickly during rolling. Tip: place 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area where you will be rolling dough. This will keep dough longer cool and make it easier to work. Using the least amount of flour during rolling will give the most delectable result.
- Turn on oven. Sprinkle the work surface with a small amount of flour and roll dough 4 stacked credit cards thick. Cut into shapes and place on parchment or silicone baking mat lined or buttered cookie sheets.
- Bake until very light golden, about 12 minutes, baking time will depend on thickness of cookies.
- Divide royal icing in 3 small containers and leave one batch white, make on pink and the remaining red. Cover tightly with plastic.
- Fill 3 paper piping bags with different colored royal icing. Cut away a small tip from piping bag and pipe a border of royal icing on each cookie using the different colors. (Do not fill center yet!).
- Set aside royal icing bags-you will need them later. Make each colored royal icing slightly thinner by adding a few drops of water. Test some royal icing on a plate and check how it flows. It needs to flow slowly but smoothly. Do not make too thin!
- Fill thinned royal icing in bags and pipe in between the borders, once filled you can tremble cookie to help the smoothness process. Allow to crust, about 1 hour.
- Pipe tiny hearts on cookies.