Heath Bar Caramel Apple
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2 cups packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large granny smith apples
- 6 popsicle sticks
- 12 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 4 Heath Bars, chopped
- Wash and dry apples; place sticks in cores and place on a baking sheet in the fridge to chill. Line counter with parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk.
- Stir with a spatula over medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; cook caramel at rolling boil until it reaches 236°F (on a candy thermometer), stirring constantly.
- Remove caramel from heat and stir in vanilla extract and salt. Pour caramel into a bowl. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes. This allows caramel to thicken slightly.
- When caramel cools, dip each apple into caramel, completely coat apple and lift apple out, allowing excess caramel to drip back into bowl. Set caramel apple on parchment paper. Repeat process until all apples have been dipped. Let caramel apples cool until caramel is no longer sticky to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- Melt chocolate according to package instructions. Dip each apple into melted chocolate to completely coat apple and lift apple out, allowing excess chocolate to drip back into bowl. Quickly sprinkle chopped Heath Bar onto chocolate layer and set apple back on parchment paper. Repeat process until all apples have been dipped and sprinkled.
- Let apples cool until chocolate is hardened. This will take about an hour on the counter or 15 minutes in a refrigerator. Serve right away or cover and refrigerate until needed.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.