- Prepare cheesecake filling: In a bowl, stir together cream cheese, powdered sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Blend well. Add red food dye, and a drop or two of black, to get desired color. Cover bowl and chill until ready to assemble mummies.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper; set aside.
- To assemble mummies, roll out one round of pie dough onto a floured surface to about 13 x 11-inch rectangle . Cut edges down to make a 9x6-inch square. Cut square into 2x3-inch rectangles (9 rectangles), then cut leftover pieces into strips to use as mummy "wrapping". Do same with remaining pie dough.
- Arrange rectangles, spaced apart on prepared baking sheet and spread cheesecake filling onto each rectangle, leaving an edge on all sides uncovered.
- Using your finger, wet uncovered edges with a bit of water. Top with strips to create "mummies", then seal edges with your fingertips, and trim excess. Brush finished mummies with lightly beaten egg whites and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes, then push candy eyes into cheesecake filling.