- 1 cup milk (room temperature, 72-75°F)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 1/4 cups bread flour*
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup water lukewarm
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, very soft
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1/2 package (4 oz) cream cheese, soft
- 3 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fruit spread such as raspberry, orange, strawberry etc.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup bread flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Whisk milk, eggs, and vanilla until well combined. Add flour, sugar, and salt.
- Combine yeast with lukewarm water and place on top of flour.
- Using dough hook mix dough until elastic and smooth, about 6 minutes on medium speed.
- Gradually add pieces of butter to dough allowing each to be fully incorporated before adding next amount. When incorporated stop mixing.
- Cover bowl with plastic food wrap and set in a warm place. Allow dough to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile prepare cream cheese filling by stirring cream cheese and sugar together until smooth. Add flour and vanilla. Set aside.
- Remove dough from bowl and cut in 2 tablespoon size portions. Make round and place on parchment-lined cookie sheets, 1-inch apart. Press surface of balls to create a dome shape.
- Once all dough has been shaped into domes, dip your first two fingers in a little oil or melted butter and make an indention in the center of each ball. If holes are too small there will not be enough space for the filling. The dough will stretch back so you may have to make all the holes and then go over it once more.
- Drop about 1 tablespoon of cream cheese filling into each indention.
- Spoon about 2-3 teaspoons of raspberry, orange, strawberry or other fruit spread over the cream cheese. Set aside in a warm area for the kolaches to nearly double in size, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile prepare streusel topping by rubbing butter, sugar, flour, and salt together until it forms crumbles. Sprinkle onto kolaches.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and once ready place in oven and bake until light golden, about 20 minutes.