Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- In a stand mixer bowl add egg yolks and 1 cup sugar. Mix until mixture is light in color and creamy.
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan add milk, whipping cream, salt, vanilla extract, and 4 tablespoons sugar. Stir to combine. Heat mixture over medium heat and cook until small bubbles appear on sides (do not bring to boil). Remove from heat.
- Gradually and slowly add egg mixture to liquid, stirring as you go. Return pan to heat and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- Allow pan to come to room temperature OR place over an ice bath to cool it more rapidly. Add pureed strawberries. Mix to combine.
- Transfer to refrigerator and allow to chill completely.
- Churn mixture according to your machine’s manufacturer’s directions.
- Transfer ice cream to a freezer safe container and freeze until ready to serve.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Paula Jones @bellalimento.