Homemade ZERO® Bars
- Almond Nougat
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2/3 cup roasted and lightly salted almonds, roughly chopped
- 16 oz vanilla almond bark or white chocolate melting wafers
- 11 oz caramels
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Line a 7x11-inch pan with foil, letting excess hang over sides. Generously butter bottom and sides of foil and set aside.
- In bowl of a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat sugar, light corn syrup, water, and salt, stirring constantly until mixture reaches soft-boil stage (about 240°F). Remove from heat. With mixer beating stiff egg whites on medium-low, slowly pour in hot sugar mixture in a steady stream. Add vanilla and almond extracts and beat on high until mixture is thick and cooled, about 10 minutes. Fold in chopped almonds.
- Spread nougat mixture in prepared pan and chill until cold firm, at least several hours. Place unwrapped caramels in a microwave safe (preferably glass) bowl and heat in microwave, stopping every 30 seconds to stir until smooth. Spread over nougat and place back in refrigerator until caramel is firm but not hard, about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Melt white candy coating according to package directions. Line a large baking sheet with wax paper. Remove pan of candy from the fridge, pull edges of foil out of pan, and peel away from sides of candy. Using a sharp knife, cut into bars. Dip each bar into melted candy, then place on lined baking sheet. Let bars set until firm.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Kristan Roland @bakescupcakes.
ZERO® is a registered trademark of The Hershey Company. All rights reserved.