Hot Milk Sponge Cake Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 lb strawberries, halved
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Butter and flour a 9-inch round baking pan. For full proof removal of cake line bottom of pan with a parchment paper circle. Set aside.
- Using a mixer fitted with whip attachment whip eggs and egg yolk for 1 minute. Add sugar, vanilla and salt and whip until mixture is very light and pale, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile sift together flour and baking powder. Combine milk and butter and heat until hot.
- Stop mixer and add flour mixture, mix on low speed until combined, do not overmix.
- Add one third of heated milk and combine on low speed, add another third and once combined add remaining amount.
- Pour into prepared pan and place in oven. Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 27 to 30 minutes
- Allow cake to cool. Although not necessary, if you desire for the sponge cake to be moist as a tres leches then moisten the cake with liquor syrup. To do so bring to a boil 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water. Allow to cool. Add 1/4 cup almond, orange or berry liquor.
- Slice cake horizontally in half and place on a serving platter. Brush or spoon half of the liquor syrup evenly onto the cake.
- Whip whipping cream, sugar and vanilla in a cold bowl to medium almost firm peaks. Spread half of cream onto cake layer.
- Arrange half of strawberries onto cream and top with remaining cake round. Moisten with remaining syrup. Spread left over cream on the surface and arrange strawberries on top. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
NOTE: If desired, the cake can be baked and frozen ahead of when you need it. Once defrosted fill with desired fruit and cream.