Irish Coffee Cream Pie
- Tart Dough
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) butter
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- Irish Coffee Pastry Cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 32 ounces whole milk
- 3 tablespoons of instant coffee
- 1 cup
- 12 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 ounces Irish whiskey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Optional: Crème Chantilly
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine all tart dough ingredients, except for the eggs, in a stand mixer fitted with paddle. Mix on low speed until butter is pea sized, then add the eggs. Mix until dough comes together into a ball. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut and shape for desired size dish. Bake at 350 with pie weights until lightly golden brown, roughly 15-18 minutes.
Irish Coffee Pastry Cream
- Start by combining seeds of vanilla bean and coffee with milk in a medium saucepan and bring it to boil. Whisk occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine yolks and sugar in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Mix on high until a thick ribbon drips off the beater. With mixer running on medium-low, add cornstarch, then scrape bowl to make sure it’s all incorporated.
- Slowly add hot milk in a steady stream to temper eggs, keeping mixer on low as you pour. When fully mixed together, pour mixture back into saucepan. Whisk steadily and bring mixture up to boiling. Allow it to bubble for about 45 seconds to a minute.
- Remove from heat and add whiskey and butter. Stir until smooth.
- Pour it into a bowl and allow it to cool for about ten minutes. Lay on some plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
- Once cool, fill mini tart shells with pastry cream and top with Creme Chantilly, if desired.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.