Italian Easter Tart
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3 cups ricotta (preferably full milk for a creamy final texture)
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon, no white bitter pith
- Zest of 1 orange, no white bitter pith
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup candied orange peel (optional)
- 1/3 cup slices almonds, toasted
- 1/8 cup pistachios
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crust, mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile chill work surface area where you will be rolling dough on by placing 1 or 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on area.
- Preheat oven to 385°F. Set aside an 8 or 9-inch tart or pie pan
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire tart pan. Place dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears.
- Prick bottom of tart shell with a fork. Place in oven (using pie weights or beans are not necessary).
- After 4-5 minutes of baking check tart. If bubbles are forming prick again with a fork. If a small area of sides have collapsed, press it back up. Bake until tart shell feels dry but has not turned golden or golden brown, about 14 minutes. Set aside and reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- In a bowl combine ricotta and sugar, add citrus zest, salt, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Add one egg at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated before adding next.
- Add chocolate chips. If using candied orange peel, chop it in small pieces and add into mixture.
- Transfer filling to pre-baked crust and place in oven. Bake about 37 minutes or until center of tart no longer trembles.
- Arrange almond slices and pistachios on edge of pie.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments