Italian Pasta Sauce
- Olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 8 oz glass Chianti wine
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 1 can (16 oz) tomato paste
- 2 (32 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (32 oz) cans tomato puree
- 1 (32 oz) can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- Add onion, garlic, carrot, and celery into deep saucepan with oil. Cook until vegetables soften.
- Add meat and break apart, but don’t let brown.
- Add 1/2 cup good quality red wine; simmer.
- Add tomato paste and mix. Add tomato sauce, puree, tomatoes, and sugar; mix again.
- Add basil and parsley, stir. Add bay leaf last.
- Simmer on low-medium for 4-6 hours. Since you’ve popped the cork on the wine, finish it while the sauce is cooking. If you’ve made meatballs and steak rolls, now’s the time to add them to the sauce. Always use Italian brand pasta. This is the way my grandmother taught me when I lived in Italy!
Imperial Sugar Insight
Serve with Italian Steak Rolls (Braciole) and Italian Meatballs.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments