- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) sweet butter, chilled
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter, melted
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup jam, preserves or marmalade
- Optional: fresh fruit
- For sprinkling: Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt together. Cut in cold butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ice water and toss with fork.
- Gather dough into a ball, wrap and refrigerate for several hours before rolling out.
- Prepare filling: Mix melted butter with bread crumbs. Stir into jam.
- Roll out half of dough between two sheets of lightly floured waxed paper. Return rest of dough to fridge so it will stay cold.
- Cut out rounds up to 4 or 5" in diameter. To cut out squares up to 4 or 5", use a ruler and a sharp knife.
- Place a spoonful or two or jam in middle of each pastry. Don't overdo it or leaking will be a problem. Top with a fresh berry or two if you're using them. Fold and crimp edges with tines of fork.
- Sprinkle pastries with sugar and transfer to buttered baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven until golden and cool on a wire rack. Baking time will vary with size and shape but average jam pocket takes 20 to 30 minutes.
Imperial Sugar Insight
The sizes and shapes of your jam pockets are up to you though the fold-overs (semi-circles, triangles and rectangle) are easier to manage.