Janie’s Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
- 4 evenly cubed sweet potatoes (about 2 regular sized sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pastry shell
- Crème Chantilly
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Boil cubed sweet potatoes in non-salted water until fork tender, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Transfer to blender or food processor. Add evaporated milk, brown sugar, and butter. Blend until very smooth. Measure exactly 2 cups of puree and transfer to bowl.
- Whisk in eggs, spices, and salt.
- Place pie shell on a cookie sheet and pour filling into pie shell. Place in oven for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 350°F. Bake until pie no longer trembles in center and is set, about an additional 30 minutes.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve with creme chantilly if desired.
Imperial Sugar Insight
From the Kitchen of:
Janie R., Austin, Texas
Submitted by KASE-FM