Key Lime Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lime zest, no white bitter pith
- Optional: 2 drops green food color
- 1/8 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 packages (12 ounces total) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon lime zest, no white bitter pith
- 3 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside. Place 24 cupcake baking cups in a muffin tin and set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix until very creamy. Add one egg yolk at a time waiting for the previous added yolk to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract, salt and lime zest. Add food color if using.
- Add 1/3 of dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Scrape well and mix briefly. Add lime juice and mix until combined, scrape well and mix briefly.
- Repeat with another 1/3 of flour and add buttermilk scraping well in between. Add remaining flour and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fill paper cups 3/4 full and place in oven, bake until center of cupcakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 22-23 minutes. Some cupcake pans are smaller and others are larger so time may vary.
- While baking prepare moistening syrup by whisking lime juice and powdered sugar until smooth. Cover and set aside.
- Prepare frosting by mixing cream cheese on very low speed. Sift powdered sugar and add one cup while mixing on low speed. When well blended add another third of powdered sugar and mix well. Add remaining powdered sugar followed by lime juice. At this stage frosting is creamy and soft, if a firmer frosting is desired add 1/2 cup more powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Drizzle or brush lime glaze onto cupcakes - they can still be hot at this time.
- Once cupcakes are completely cold, fill a pastry bag fitted with a medium plain tip with cream cheese frosting and pipe in a circular fashion on surface of cupcakes, alternatively spread frosting on cupcake using a spatula.
- Sprinkle with lime zest.