Key Lime Strawberry Poke Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- Key Lime Filling
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup key lime juice
- Strawberry Filling
- 3 cups chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Double recipe Crème Chantilly
- Strawberries and limes, for garnish
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Prepare cake. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and soda. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on high until fluffy. Beat in flour mixture, milk, vanilla, eggs, and oil on medium speed until blended. Beat 2 minutes longer.
- Pour into pan and bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake in pan. When cake is cool, use the back of a wooden spoon or chopsticks and poke holes all over the cake.
- Prepare key lime filling. Whisk together sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream. Mix key lime juice into mixture and quickly pour over cake and smooth with offset spatula. Alternately, since filling sets up quickly, pipe filling into holes and onto cake, then smooth with offset spatula. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Prepare strawberry filling. In a medium saucepan, combine filling ingredients and cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture has boiled for 1-2 minutes. Spread strawberry filling onto cake, as evenly as possible, with an offset spatula. Refrigerate for minimum 1 hour, or until strawberry filling has cooled completely and solidified.
- Prepare Creme Chantilly and spread evenly over cake. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Recipe developed by Terri Truscello Miller @LoveandConfections.