Lemon Blueberry Poke Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 drops of yellow food coloring (optional)
- Butter to butter pan
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
Lemon Crème Chantilly
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350F°.
- In large bowl, mix together cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt.
- In bowl of a mixer, mix together egg whites, water, and milk. Mix on low for about 10 seconds.
- Slowly add dry mix a little at a time continuing to mix on low until everything is combined. Add sour cream and mix well.
- Add lemon juice and mix well. If using food coloring, mix in a few drops now.
- Pour into a buttered 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake 30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- When cake is cool, use end of wooden spoon and poke holes into top of cake.
- For Blueberry Filling, in medium saucepan add 2 cups of fresh blueberries and water. Stir in honey.
- Heat over medium heat until it starts to boil. Add sugar and stir. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup blueberries and let simmer for 3 minutes.
- Pour hot blueberry filling over cooled poke cake.
- Place cake into fridge for 2 hours or until blueberry layer is cold.
- For Lemon Crème Chantilly, in bowl of a stand mixer, combine whipping cream, lemon extract, and sugar. Whip on high until firm peaks form.
- Remove cake from fridge and top with a layer of Crème Chantilly.
- Top with lemon zest and fresh blueberries. Serve cold.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.