Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes with Blackberries & Lemon Cloud Icing
Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups cake flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 16 ounce container fresh blackberries
Lemon Cloud Icing
- 2 eggs, white and yolks divided
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Fresh mint sprigs
- Fresh blackberries
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs 1 at a time. Add lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill each 3/4 full. Drop a blackberry (or several if they are small) directly into batter.
- Bake on center rack for 18-20 minutes; or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Prepare icing by beating 2 egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and whip until stiff. Set aside. In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Fold into egg white mixture, along with lemon juice and whipped cream. Freeze until ready to serve.
- Adorn each cupcake with a swirl of Lemon Cloud Icing, blackberry, and sprig of mint (if desired). Sprinkle with a bit of turbinado. Serve immediately.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Aimee Broussard @AimeeBroussard.com.