Lemon Chiffon Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Optional: yellow sprinkles
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add flour mixture, mixing until completely combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop (about 1 heaping tablespoon of dough), drop rounded balls onto prepared baking sheet. Leaving space for spreading.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes. The cookies will not look browned, but centers should have slightly puffed up. Let cookies rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- For icing: Whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle on top of cooled cookies. Add sprinkles and fresh lemon zest, if desired. Let icing set for 10 minutes or until firm and serve.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.