Lemon Chiffon Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lemon Icing
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Optional: yellow sprinkles
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in egg, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract, scrapping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add flour mixture, mixing until completely combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop (about 1 heaping tablespoon of dough), drop rounded balls of dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Leaving space for spreading.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes. The cookies will not look browned, but the centers should have slightly puffed up. Let cookies rest on cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- For icing: In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle on top of cooled cookies. Let icing set for 10 minutes, or until firm and serve.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.