Lemon Coconut Sandwich Cookies
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Combine coconut and flour in a food processor and mix until coconut is finely chopped. Set aside.
- Cream butter until smooth; add powdered sugar and cream further. Add egg, vanilla, zest of lemon and salt, mix until well combined but not light and fluffy.
- Add coconut-flour mixture in one step to the creamed mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Press dough 1/4-inch thick on a plastic food film-lined cookie sheet and chill in refrigerator until firm enough to roll.** About 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare baking sheets by lining with parchment paper or silicone, or butter well. Set aside.
- Dough is easiest to roll on lightly floured parchment paper or roll on a floured work surface. Roll dough four stacked credit cards thick. Cut into 1.5-inch circles and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until very light golden, about 13-14 minutes.
- Once cooled fill with lemon curd and sandwich.
**This dough tends to become soft very quickly during rolling. Place 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area where you will be rolling dough. This will keep dough longer cool and make it easier to work.
Time saver: In well stocked grocery stores, find unsweetened coconut in bulk. It will be smaller than grains of rice and you will not have to chop or grind it yourself.