Lemon Crème Brûlée
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Arrange 8 ramekins in a large baking dish or roasting pan.
- In saucepan combine heavy cream, sugar, lemon zest, and salt. Bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk egg yolks together until smooth and uniform in color.
- Slowly whisk about 1 cup of cream mixture into yolks until combined. Repeat with 1 more cup of cream. Add rest of cream, and mix until smooth and well blended.
- Mix in vanilla and lemon extract.
- Strain cream mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl. Discard any solids in strainer.
- Divide mixture evenly into 8 ramekins. Set baking dish in center of your oven.
- Pour boiling water into dish, about 2/3rd of way up ramekins while being careful not to get any water in cream mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, depending on size and depth of your ramekins. Centers should just barely be set, almost like Jello. A thermometer should read 180°F.
- Remove from oven and transfer ramekins to a wire rack to cool for 2 hours. Cover and set in a refrigerator until cold, 4-6 hours.
- To serve, sprinkle about 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar over custard. Rotate to evenly distribute sugar. Ignite torch and caramelize sugar.
- Re-chill for 20-30 minutes before serving.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.