Lemon Crumb Muffins
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, very cold
- Pinch salt
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil (any type)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest of 3 lemons, no white bitter pith
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon, no white bitter pith
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare streusel by placing sugar and flour in a bowl. Grate very cold butter on small eyes of grater directly into flour. Toss around well and add salt. Rub mixture until it becomes sandy/crumbly. Set aside.
- Line 2 cupcake or muffin tins with 18 paper cups and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk eggs and oil together until smooth.
- Add buttermilk, vanilla, and zest of lemons.
- Add dry ingredients all at once and stir just until barely combined. Mixture should look like it needs to be mixed more. (Over mixing makes tough muffins.)
- Using a large ice cream scoop fill batter into muffin cups, a generous 3/4 -7/8 full.
- Sprinkle generously with streusel and place in oven. Bake until center of muffins spring back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 22-24 minutes.
- While baking, prepare glaze by whisking lemon juice, powdered sugar, and lemon zest until smooth. Cover with plastic food wrap until ready to use.
- When muffins have slightly cooled drizzle muffins with glaze.