Lemon Dome Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup + 7 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 ounces (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon) whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Zest of 4 lemons, no white bitter pith
- 7 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Lemon Curd
- 2/3 cup white chocolate chips
- Jelly beans or fresh fruit
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. If you are planning to make the white chocolate nest decoration, place a glossy porcelain tile or marble slab in the freezer.
- Butter and flour a 2 &1/2 quart metal bowl and set aside. Spray with baking spray and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients (or bowl of a stand mixer) whip eggs until smooth. Add sugar and whip until very thick and mousse like, about 8 minutes.
- On very low speed, add whipping cream, salt and vanilla extract.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and add to above.
- Melt butter until liquid; do not boil. Add lemon zest and melted butter to flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared bowl and place in oven. After 15 minutes in oven reduce temperature to 325°F.
- Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed or an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Final baking time will depend on size of bowl used but will be at least 70 minutes. If surface of cake becomes too dark cover with aluminum foil.
- Remove cake from oven and turn upside down onto a serving platter. Leave bowl onto cake to trap moisture.
- When cool, top cake with lemon curd if desired.
- To prepare white chocolate nest, place chocolate into a small bowl along with 1 tablespoon cooking oil. Place over very low simmering water and stir continuously until chocolate has melted.
- Place chocolate in a small piping bag and cut away a very tiny hole. Start tiny as you can always cut larger. Set aside a metal cake spatula or a large knife.
- Remove cold stone from freezer and wipe away any condensation. Quickly zig zag chocolate over frozen stone. Lift threads up with spatula or knife and curve immediately onto cake. Always remove condensation before continuing.
- Decorate with jelly beans or fresh fruit.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments