Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 24 cupcake liners in two 12-count muffin tins. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat again.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in mixing bowl.
- Alternately mix dry ingredients and buttermilk into butter mixture just until mixed in.
- Spoon batter evenly into cupcake liners. Bake 17 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Use a cupcake corer to remove center of each cupcake. Fill centers with lemon curd.
- Place egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in a heatproof bowl.
- Set bowl directly over a saucepan of simmering water. Make sure bottom of bowl does not touch water.
- Whisk mixture for 5 minutes until sugar is dissolved and egg whites are warm to touch.
- Beat mixture with whisk attachment for 6-8 minutes, or until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Stir in vanilla gently, then spoon into piping bag fitted with icing tip 1M. Swirl on cupcakes.
- Use kitchen torch to lightly toast meringue frosting. Refrigerate leftover cupcakes.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jocelyn Brubaker @InsideBruCrewLife.