Lemon or Lime Grits Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime zest, no white bitter pith
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Stir in cornmeal and set aside.
- Mix soft butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and beat until light.
- Add salt and citrus zest and combine well. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Divide dough in 2 equal pieces and place each on a large sheet of plastic food wrap. Cover both with another sheet of plastic.
- Press flat and roll dough about 1/4-inch thick. Pull on edge of plastic and drag dough onto the backside of cookie sheets. Place in freezer or refrigerator until cold enough to cut, about 15 minutes.
- Remove top plastic sheet and cut circles about 2-inch in diameter. Place on parchment lined or lightly buttered cookie sheet.
- Place in oven and bake until edges are golden, about 10-12 minutes.
- Move to a wire rack to cool.