Lemon Orange Chiffon Cake
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemons + orange zest
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 cup Lemon Curd
Lemon Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd
- 1 tablespoon lemon + orange zest
- 1 orange or lemon thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a fluted bundt pan. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk egg yolks, vegetable oil, lemon juice, both zests, orange extract, and water together.
- In separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 cup of sugar together.
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients by making a well in dry mixture. Mix until smooth and set aside.
- In a separate bowl using a hand mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until light and foamy. Slowly add in remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg white mixture into cake batter.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes until golden brown and cake springs back when touched.
- Allow cake to cool for 15-20 minutes in pan. Place a plate over the pan and invert cake pan to remove. Carefully cut cake horizontally into three layers with a large serrated knife.
- Generously spread lemon curd onto each bottom and middle layer and place final layer on top to carefully reassemble cake.
- Make frosting by whipping together heavy cream and sugar in large bowl until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in lemon curd and combine.
- Gently frost entire cake with frosting and garnish with lemon and orange zest as well as orange and/or lemon slices.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Ashley Schoenith @heirloomedblog.