Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon black sesame or poppy seeds
- Zest of 3 lemons, no white bitter pith
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Sift flour and set aside.
- Mix butter, salt, and powdered sugar until very well combined. Add seeds and lemon zest and mix well.
- Once no butter lumps remain, add sifted flour and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Press or roll the dough into a 9x9-inch square pan.
- If desired (and purely for decorative purpose), make parallel indentions into surface of sheet using a long knife.
- Place sheet into freezer for about 20-30 minutes or until it is possible to make perfect square cuts.
- Cut into 1.5x1.5-inch squares and place on a prepare cookie sheets about 1/2-inch apart.
- If frozen solid, allow to reach room temperature before baking. Place in oven and bake until edges of shortbreads turn a pale golden.
- Shortbreads obtain their perfectly crumbly texture when at room temperature.