Lemon Sweet Milk Doughnuts
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup Cinnamon Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Gradually add sugar to egg, beating constantly.
- Add milk, butter, and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, sift all dry ingredients together.
- Add dry to wet mixture a little at a time. Dough should be soft but not sticky. Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out to 1/2-inch thickness and cut into doughnut shapes. Let rest 10 minutes before frying.
- Heat oil to 365°F. Fry doughnuts until golden brown (about 2 minutes), turning once halfway through. Drain on paper towels. Coat with cinnamon sugar.
Imperial Sugar Insight
This classic sweet milk doughnut recipe was originally published in 1985 in our Homemade Good News Cookbook, Vol V, No 2.