- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- grated zest from one large lemon
- 1 cup buttermilk, sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced strawberries or whole fresh raspberries, or whole fresh blueberries
- 1 egg
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare muffin tin with non-stick baking spray or cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Whisk flour with baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, and lemon zest until well blended.
- In a separate bowl or a large measuring cup, whisk buttermilk (or sour cream or yogurt) with oil, egg, and lemon extract until smooth.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture all at once and stir with a large spoon until just moistened. Gently fold in berries and spoon into muffin tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until golden with tops that spring back when lightly pressed with your fingertips.
- Serve hot straight from the oven or cool on racks.
This recipe was originally published in the 1994 March/April edition of the Homemade Good News cookbook series. Volume XIV, No 2.