Lime Coconut Dulce De Leche Thumbprints
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lime (no white bitter pith)
- 1 can, about 14 ounce dulce de leche
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine and then sift together flour and baking soda, set aside.
- Place coconut in a small food processor or blender and chop until very fine, set aside.
- Cream butter until smooth, add sugar and cream further. Add egg, vanilla, zest of lime and salt, mix until light and fluffy.
- Add flour all at once and mix until dough forms, do not over mix.
- Scoop dough in tablespoon amounts and shape into spheres, roll into coconut and place on parchment lined or lightly buttered cookie sheets.
- Press and indention in the center of the sphere. Repeat using remaining dough.
- Place in oven and bake until light golden, about 12 minutes.
- Place dulce de leche in a pastry or zip lock bag fitted with a medium pastry tip and fill the center of each cookie.
- If desired sprinkle cookies with additional zested lime.