Lime Shortbread Cookies
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For cookies, in bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix butter and granulated sugar together for 2 minutes on medium speed. Add in zest from 2 limes (about 1 tablespoon) and mix for 30 seconds until combined. Reserve limes for their juice.
- Add in vanilla, salt, and yolks. Mix until combined, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Turn mixer to low and add in flour, mixing until just combined.
- Place 2 sheets of plastic wrap on your clean counter. Divide dough into 2 equal portions and place each portion onto plastic wrap. Form each dough into 2 equal logs, 2-inches in diameter. Wrap dough in plastic wrap tightly, smoothing shape out after it’s wrapped. Place wrapped dough into refrigerator for 2 hours, or until completely chilled.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and slice into 1/4- inch slices. Place cookies on prepared baking sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes, until cookies are golden at edges.
- Allow cookies to cool on a wire rack.
- For icing, in a medium bowl whisk together powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of lime juice from reserved limes until smooth.
- Dip each cookie into icing, and place on wire rack to let icing set.
- Store airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.