Low Sugar Chocolate Malt Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup malted milk powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare 2 muffin tins with liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt; whisk together to mix.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and malted milk powder, stirring to dissolve. Add milk mixture, vegetable oil, and eggs to flour mixture; beat until smooth. Add sour cream and vanilla; beat just until mixture is combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans, bake 18-22 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cool, frost with any of the following: Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting, Mocha Coffee Butter Cream Frosting, Coffee Butter Cream Frosting, Raspberry White Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting or Vanilla Frosting.
- Garnish with broken dark chocolate pieces.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.