Low Sugar Heavenly Almond Cake
- 2 large or 3 medium Golden Delicious apples
- 1 tablespoon Steviacane
- 2/3 cup Steviacane
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (can be non-virgin olive oil)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups almond flour/meal*
- Zest of 1 large orange, no white bitter pith
- 7 large egg whites (no yolk traces)
- 1/2 cup almond slices or chopped whole almonds
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For easy removal from pan, line bottom and sides of a 9X13-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Peel apples, cut in quarters, cut in even pieces and place in a small saucepan along with 1/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon Steviacane.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Turn to simmer and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Remove from heat and remove excess water. Transfer to a blender and blend to very smooth applesauce.
- Measure 1 cup of applesauce and return it back to blender. Use any remaining applesauce for other use.
- In blender, first add Steviacane, oil, egg yolks, almond extract, and salt. Then add almond flour. Mix until very well combined.
- Not all purchased almond flours are equally fine in granulation. Therefore, keep blending mixture to ensure that almond flour is finely grounded. However, make certain that you do not mix mixture to a lukewarm temperature.
- Transfer to a bowl large enough to hold whipped egg whites and add orange zest.
- In a separate bowl whip egg whites until medium peaks form–not to a stiff consistency!
- Fold one third of whipped egg whites into batter. Rewhip remaining egg whites to regain smoothness and then fold gently into almond mixture.
- Scrape into prepared pan and sprinkle with almonds. Place in oven for nearly 35 minutes or until center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger.