Low Sugar Meyer Lemon Chia Seed Muffins
- 1 cup (4.5 ounces) all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup (3.37 ounces) white whole wheat flour*
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup almond milk or other milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled, or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners or coat with nonstick cooking spray (or both).
- In a large bowl combine flour, chia seeds, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In a liquid measuring cup beat together almond milk, honey, coconut oil, egg, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Pour into dry ingredients and stir JUST until combined; do not overmix. Divide evenly among muffin tin cups.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce temperature to 400°F . Continue baking until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about another 10 minutes.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Tessa Arias @HandletheHeat.