Low Sugar Whole Wheat Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or other healthy oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Steviacane OR 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups quick cooking oats (not instant or old fashioned)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 apple cut in pieces
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- If using silicone muffin pans, no preparation is needed. For metal pans, spray with baking spray or brush evenly with melted butter and then dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg and oil until smooth. Add vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt, Steviacane, buttermilk, orange juice and whisk smooth.
- Add oats and let batter sit for 10 minutes to soften the oats. After 10 minute rest, combine whole wheat flour and baking soda and mix into batter using a spatula.
- Fold in apple pieces, grated carrot, raisins, walnuts and coconut flakes. Fill muffin pans 3/4 full. Do not overfill as this may cause poor rising.
- Place in oven and bake until center of muffins spring back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 22 minutes or more for larger muffin pans.
- If desired, after baking and cooling, wrap the muffins individually in plastic food wrap and store in the freezer. Reheat in a microwave for a quick and healthy start of the day or a delicious snack at work.
- Muffin pans vary greatly in size but this batch will make between 14 and 20 muffins.