Magdalenas (Mexican Madeleines)
- 1 cup European style butter at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour*, sifted
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Fill cupcake tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- Cream butter using a whisk attachment. Whip for 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Incorporate sugar and mix for another 2 minutes at medium speed until butter turns a light yellow color and becomes fluffy.
- Continue whipping and add eggs one by one. Whip for 1 minute and pour in orange juice, vanilla, milk, orange zest, and salt. Continue mixing for 1 minute or until all wet ingredients are incorporated.
- Turn off mixer and change whipping attachment to paddle attachment. Turn mixer on low. Add baking powder.
- Using a large spoon, start adding sifted flour in stages until all ingredients form a batter. This can take up to 5 minutes.
- Pour cake batter into prepared cupcake tin about 3/4 full. Sprinkle each cupcake with granulated sugar. Bake magdalenas for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- When ready, remove from oven and allow to cool. Enjoy with milk, tea, or coffee.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Adriana Martin @AdrianasBestRecipes.