Maple Apple Pie
- 1 recipe Pure Butter Pie Crust
Apple Pie Filling
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (Vietnamese cinnamon preferred)
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour*
- 3 standard size Granny Smith apples
- 4 standard size Golden Delicious apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons maple flavor extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar, for dusting
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Follow direction for Pure Butter Pie Crust.
- Roll half of dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle and until it is large enough to cover a 9-inch pie pan. Keep remaining dough in refrigerator.
- Cut away excess dough from sides and set on an aluminum foil lined cookie tray for easy clean up after baking. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, and flour.
- Peel and quarter apples and cut each quarter crosswise in 8 slices. As soon as an apple is cut, toss it in sugar mixture to prevent browning.
- Add lemon juice, vanilla, maple syrup, and maple flavor to apples. Melt butter and combine with apples.
- Arrange apple filling in pie crust and press apples firmly to ensure as few holes as possible.
- Roll remaining dough 3 credit cards thick and cut it using a maple leaf cutter. Using back of a knife, indent veins into leaves. Arrange on pie.
- Brush leaves with a thin layer of water (do not use egg wash) and sprinkle evenly with granulated sugar.
- Place on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet (easy clean up) and place in oven. If using a glass pie pan, place pie close to bottom of oven to ensure proper baking of bottom crust. If using an aluminum pan, center rack is fine.
- After 10 minutes of baking, reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake pie for a total time of about 85-90 minutes. Thick bubbles (consistency of honey) must form which are visibly showing on top of pie. If pie gets too dark during baking cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve topped with vanilla ice cream, if desired.