Maraschino Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 7-8 drops red food coloring
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup drained and chopped maraschino cherries
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In an electric stand mixer cream together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar for about 2 minutes, until it is fluffy.
- Add eggs, almond extract, and food coloring until it is well blended and an even pink color.
- Mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt until it forms a dough and no white streaks remain.
- Gently fold in chopped cherries and chocolate chips.
- Cover dough and place in fridge for 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Scoop balls of dough onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 9-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit on baking tray for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container for 5 days.
The cherries will make the dough sticky. Do not add more flour to try to compensate or your cookies will come out tough. Red food coloring is optional if you want pink cookies.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.