Melted Jack-O-Lantern Brownies
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 (12 oz) package of orange candy melts
- 9 large marshmallows
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8x8-inch square pan. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl combine butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients and chocolate chunks, stirring until just combined. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Slice brownies into 9 even squares. Set aside.
- Line countertop with parchment paper and place brownies on top with a little space between each one.
- Melt candy melts according to package directions. Using dipping forks or toothpicks, dip one marshmallow into orange candy coating, do not shake off excess coating, and quickly set down on top of the center of a brownie.
- Using your hand, lightly tap brownie on the countertop to get excess orange candy coating to smooth out and slide down onto the brownie. You may also do this with a small spatula under the brownie and tap the spatula onto the countertop. (If you are not getting enough coating to drip, you can add a little extra orange candy coating on top of the marshmallow with a spoon before tapping the brownie.)
- Quickly before candy coating sets, top marshmallow with a chocolate chip to look like the stem of the jack-o-lantern. Continue until you have used all brownies and marshmallows. Allow candy coating to harden completely, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, melt remaining chocolate chips according to package directions. Using a small piping bag with a round tip (or a plastic baggie with a small tip cut off), pipe chocolate onto jack-o-lantern faces. Let harden, about 15 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments