Meringue Topped Coconut Lemon Bars
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil or 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest of 2 lemons, no white bitter pith
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Set aside an 8x8-inch baking pan. For easy removal, line pan with parchment paper which overhangs on sides. Set aside.
- Place flour and coconut in a blender. Blend until coconut is in small pieces and place in mixing bowl.
- Add coconut oil or butter, powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Toss and rub with your hands until mixture looks like coarse meal. Reserve 2 tablespoons of dough and press remaining amount firmly onto bottom of pan.
- Place in oven and bake until golden, about 17-20 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- If gaps between dough and sides developed, press a tiny amount of dough in gaps to prevent lemon mixture from seeping underneath crust.
- Whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar in a bowl. Add eggs and salt and whisk until completely smooth. Sift and add flour
- Pour into pan and place in oven until center of curd has set, about another 20-25 minutes. When center of curd no longer trembles, it is done.
- Cool in refrigerator for about 45 minutes and then lift lemon bars out the pan by pulling on parchment.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg whites and sugar and whip over a pan with low simmering water (water cannot touch the bowl). Whip meringue until it reaches 140°F.
- Remove from heat and whip until cold. Spread meringue onto lemon bars. You may not need all the meringue, but making a smaller amount is not possible.
- Remove excess parchment paper before moving to step 14.
- Turn on broiler and once preheated place lemon bars on second highest level in oven. Stay right at oven as it will only take minutes for meringue to brown.
- Cut with a sharp knife.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments