Mexican Wedding Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose unbleached flour*
- 1 cup unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons rum, optional
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup slivered or sliced almonds, chopped very fine
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift flour and set aside.
- Mix butter until creamy. Then, combine well with salt, almond extract, vanilla, and rum. Add powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add chopped almonds and mix until incorporated. Add flour and mix until just combined.
- Roll dough into evenly sized 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch in diameter and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Place in oven and bake until very lightly golden, about 18 minutes. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar as soon as cookies are lukewarm.