Milk Chocolate Pie
- 1 frozen deep-dish pie shell
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Milk chocolate bar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Pre-bake pie crust according to package directions. Set aside to cool completely.
- Combine sugar, cocoa, and flour in a large saucepan.
- In another bowl, whisk evaporated milk and egg yolks. Pour into saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken.
- Add water and cook until mixture comes to a bubble. Add margarine and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour into pie shell and allow filling to cool. Place in refrigerator to cool completely, at least two hours.
- When pie has set and you are ready to serve, make whipped cream. Place a metal bowl and metal beaters into freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add cream to bowl and beat on low speed until cream increases in volume. Add sugar and increase speed and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Add whipped cream to top of pie. Use a vegetable peeler to shave milk chocolate over pie.
- Serve immediately and store leftovers in the refrigerator.
This recipe was shared with us by Sweetalk member Jennifer SanAngelo, and it took First Place in the Favorite Pie category at the 2019 Louisiana State Fair!